Friday, January 29, 2010

In which the heart speaks into words

Romantic poetry has always captured my attention with its intense feelings and the ability of the poet to potray the emotions sprinting through his heart with the use of simple words. For me, personally, this particular genre of poetry has allowed me to connect with the beauty of words and literature.

Romantic poetry, in the words of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, a prominent romantic poet famous for his "On Posey or Art", sees it as “the mediatress between, and reconciler of nature and man”. This form of poetry, in my experience, quite often reveals itself after a long duration of thoughts and the sensitivity of the heart to such emotions.




Honestly, it didn't occur to me that such a genre exists in the vast spectrum of poetry. It was after countless of biographies and careful research that I finally found that I'm not as weird as I thought I was, seeing that most of my written works are of the said genre.

As much as I am to a certain extent very influenced by the heart, I'm eternally grateful that I also have a handbook, called "The Bible" to always remind me that God is greater than our hearts (1 John 3:20) and that wisdom and the cognitive departments of our being contribute in playing a role to make sure that our feelings and emotions do not fool us.




Lord Byron has been one of my inspirations as well, with his poem "She Walks in Beauty". It
potrays a beautiful scene of femininity as well as the use of imagery to describe his feelings.
His admiration and language very much stirs a string of emotions in my heart.


The other Romantic poet, John Keats has also inspired me with his works on nature. His poem "To Autumn" and "Ode to a Nightingale" was an enjoyable journey of "dissecting" for me.


And of course, my personal favourite, Elizabeth Barret Browning, whom I've enjoyed learning about during my literature classes back in Form 4. "Sonnet 43", the poem we studied has surprisingly made itself a home in my memory seeing that I can recite it by heart although I'm not in school anymore. Feeling the beauty of her language in her sonnets to Robert Browning, I was highly inspired to write one of my own. In which I did but of course will be kept in secret until I'm given the liberty to express it.



Romantic poetry, with its enigmatic language and the harmonious union of imagery and words have definately provided a way in for me to venture deeply into its wings. What I hope is that no matter how much I'm drenched in it, my eyes will never lose sight of the One who designed the human emotions and that my heart will hold steadfastly into His word, regardless of the tempest and raging seas that burts within my soul.

1 comments:

Josiah.Ching said...

This is one really good essay :-) Very infomative and an eye-opener. Didn't know Lord Byron and ole' Keats are romantics.